All students are set regular personal study or homework to reinforce and extend their classroom learning. Personal study is set according to a schedule which is detailed here. The time for which students are expected to study beyond the timetable increases as they rise through the school to a minimum expectation of 4 hours per week per subject in the sixth form. Students are issued with a planner to help them record and organise their work.
Young people often lead busy lives with lots of competition for their time. To support them, independent study, parents & carers can:
- Log in to ePraise (our online homework record) or alternatively check your child’s planner for updates on homework tasks and deadlines.
- Encourage your child to get into a routine of doing homework early, ideally on the day that it is set.
- Encourage your child to ask their teacher for additional help or guidance if they are unsure of what they need to do, making sure that this contact is in advance of the set deadline.
- Provide a quiet and comfortable place for your child to do their homework, free from potential distractions such as television, mobile phones or social media.
- Check any completed work to ensure it reflects their best efforts.
Failure to submit the scheduled homework task on the due date will result in a same day after-school catch up being set. These begin at 3.15 and last for 45 minutes.