Fitzharrys is an academy school and part of the The Abingdon Learning Trust. Fitzharrys Governors work cooperatively with Governors from John Mason School to ensure the best outcomes for children across the two schools.
Working in partnership with the Headteacher and staff, Governors ensure high standards of achievement for the young people in the two schools. Governors have four core strategic functions delegated to us by The Abingdon Learning Trust Board:
- Setting the vision, ethos and strategic direction of the school, within the context of The Abingdon Learning Trust.
- Monitoring plans to improve outcomes for children from the closer alignment of the two schools.
- Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its students.
- Ensuring the school remains within the budget delegated by The Abingdon Learning Trust and making sure the money is well spent.
Governors meet as an overall Fitzharrys and John Mason Secondary Board, but also carry out detailed scrutiny through three bodies:
- The Fitzharrys and John Mason School Local Academy Boards which focus on the achievement and welfare of pupils at the individual schools and ensure that the individual schools remain within budget and that money is well spent.
- A joint committee for the governance of the JMF6 sixth form –the JMF6 Committee.
Terms of Reference can be found as a PDF document on this page.
Who are the Governors?
The Governing body is made up of people who have a common passion for providing the best education for children in their schools. Parents and staff are specifically represented on the governing body, whilst other governors are appointed by the Trust to ensure a wide breadth of skills, experience and viewpoints to enable the governing body collectively to support and challenge the school leadership.
Scheme of Delegation
The Scheme of Delegation sets out the delegated powers between the different bodies involved in the governance and operation of the Multi Academy Trust (MAT) and its constituent schools.
For full details, please read the following documents:
More about governance
For details of the Members, Trustees and governance arrangements for the Abingdon Learning Trust, please visit the Abingdon Learning Trust website via the following link:
If you have any questions about the work of the governing body or would be interested in becoming a governor, please contact the Clerk to the Governors.