The School Nurse's Role
Secondary schools within Oxfordshire have a named NHS School Health Nurse who is based in the school. The aim of the School Nurse is to offer evidence-based preventative health care for children and young people, striving to improve young people’s health and wellbeing and their life chances. The school nurse works closely with teaching and wellbeing staff at Fitzharrys, encouraging students to be both physically and emotionally healthy in order to make informed, healthy lifestyle choices and so reach their full potential.
The School Nurse Service
The School Nurse provides public health interventions, including:
- Someone to talk to confidentially to address issues concerning emotional, physical, sexual and social health and wellbeing
- Healthy lifestyle choices (keeping safe, smoking cessation, substance misuse advice)
- Supporting teachers with PSHCE
- Signposting and referral to specialist services
- Confidential School Nurse drop-in clinic
- Providing contraception, pregnancy testing and sexual health screening and treatment
If the School Nurse cannot help, they will find someone who can…
How can I arrange a meeting with the School Nurse?
- You can pop into the School Nurse office (in North Block) at break or lunchtime (alone or with a friend)
- Speak to your tutor, Head of Year or Student Services to help with referral
- Self-refer by drop in or email (contact details below)
The School Nursing service is confidential. This means you can discuss personal information with confidence and the School Nurse will not discuss it with anyone else without your permission. However, we would be obliged to pass on any information that we feel is needed to protect a young person or someone else from serious harm. Whenever possible, this would be discussed with you first.
School Nurse Contact Details
Anna Hillis, Fitzharrys School Health Nurse
Drop-in Clinic: see notice on door for weekly timings
Tel: 01235 225700 (ext. 2378) / 07786 735788 (school hours only)
School Nurse Website: School & college health nurses - Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust
School Health Nurse Newsletters