The School Nurse's Role
Secondary schools within Oxfordshire have a named NHS School Health Nurse who is based in the school. The aim of the School Nurse is to offer evidence-based preventative health care for children and young people, striving to improve young people’s health and wellbeing and their life chances. The school nurse works closely with teaching and wellbeing staff at Fitzharrys, encouraging students to be both physically and emotionally healthy in order to make informed, healthy lifestyle choices and so reach their full potential.
The School Nurse Service
The School Nurse provides public health interventions, including:
- Someone to talk to confidentially to address issues concerning emotional, physical, sexual and social health and wellbeing
- Healthy lifestyle choices (keeping safe, smoking cessation, substance misuse advice)
- Supporting teachers with PSHE
- Signposting and referral to specialist services
- Confidential School Nurse drop-in clinic
- Providing contraception, pregnancy testing and sexual health screening and treatment
If the School Nurse cannot help, they will find someone who can.
How can I arrange a meeting with the School Nurse?
- You can pop into the School Nurse office (in East Block) at break or lunchtime (alone or with a friend)
- Speak to your tutor, Head of Year or Student Services to help with referral
- Self-refer by drop in or email (contact details below)
What if I need to talk to a School Nurse in the holidays?
There is now a new text-based service (launched on 14th February 2022) for students offering access to health advice from school nurses via during school holidays. For information on how to access this service, see the linked poster in the Contact area below.
The School Nursing service is confidential. This means you can discuss personal information with confidence and the School Nurse will not discuss it with anyone else without your permission. However, we would be obliged to pass on any information that we feel is needed to protect a young person or someone else from serious harm. Whenever possible, this would be discussed with you first.
School Nurse Contact Details
Sarah Shaw, Fitzharrys School Health Nurse
Drop-in Clinic: see notice on door for weekly timings
School Nurse Website: School & college health nurses - Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust
New School Nurse Text Service
Students needing access to health advice from school nurses via during school holidays can do so using the details on the linked poster below: